Saturday 23 September 2017

Let's talk Cruelty Free beauty

Hello! I am in the slow process of making sure any beauty product I use is cruelty free which is proving extremely difficult especially when I am browsing the aisle of Boots and the Cruelty Free bunny on the backs of products is elusive - this should be a huge selling point, so why am I not seeing more of it? And where is the outrage?!

I will admit there is definitely disagreement about what products are cruelty free. Lets take Revlon as a brand example, they became cruelty free in 1989, after protests about animal testing and were on the Peta list as cruelty free. However Revlon now maintain they are cruelty free on their website, but their products are sold in China, where it is mandatory for products to be tested on animals. So they are no longer categorised as cruelty free by Peta.

In terms of my own view, if a company's product is sold in China I will avoid buying from them. However I will buy from a company such as the Body Shop whose parent company L'oreal is sold in China. In my opinion that is to make cruelty free beauty products a viable option. I will admit I am not plant based, or even vegetarian. But animal testing is pointlessly cruel, unnecessary and needs to be illegal worldwide. Talking of the Body Shop they are leading the way with their campaign to ban animal testing on cosmetic products and ingredients. Read more here. They need 8 million signatures in order to take the petition to UN General Assembly in 2018.


My Cruelty Free Products:

All the make up brushes I own are Real Techniques. Firstly they are cruelty free, but they are affordable and extremely good quality. I cannot imagine purchasing from another brand.

This is the foundation that bought to replace my Nars Sheerglow (which i have finished) as Nars is no longer cruelty free. For me this is nicely build-able and is  glowy finish whilst not getting your face confused for a disco ball!

Charlotte Tilbury Glastonberry
My absolute favourite autumn/winter lipstick, it is just such a gorgeous vampy lipstick. It is a modern matte finish, which means its comfortable on the lips and won't me your lips feel like the Sahara desert.

Kat Von D Liquid Lipstick in Lolita
I love this 90's nude toned lipstick, a colour I'm not wearing as often as I did last year, but it is definitely one of my favourites. Whilst being super matte it doesn't feel over whelming.

NYX Setting Powder
There's really not much you can say about a setting powder. It's sets make up, and I don't look shiny. Perfect.

The Balm Mary Lou Manizer
Aaah this is my holy grail highlighter, its golden in tone and gives a noticeable but not over the top disco ball sparkle to your cheek bones.

Tarte Tarteist Pro Palette
I saw InTheFrow wear this on her insta, and immediately wanted it. Luckily my friend was heading stateside so I added it to my order.

Tarte Tartelette Palette
This was my first tarte product, this I love the pinky and gold tones in this palette. The shadows have great pigmentation. You can either mix and match the eyeshadows, or you can follow along the line for the suggested looks.


Pixi Glow Tonic
This is such a classic beauty blogger product from back in like 2012, however that it because it is great. I like that it gently exfoliates your face, it certainly makes my skin feel softer. As it is a chemical exfoliater it means there are no beads going down the sink.

Again such a classic beauty blogger product. For me this a super gentle cleanser and highly effective.

The Body Shop Aloe Soothing Day Cream
A new product to my beauty portfolio, so far I think this is a good moisturiser and foundation goes on a treat over the top.

Lush Grease Lightning
Surprisingly the only Lush product on this list! I don't know if I'm being effected by a placebo effect but I think this genuinely help spots a little bit - which is always extremely welcome.

One brand I have confusion with is Soap and Glory, they say they are, however I can't find them on any cruelty free lists - if anyone knows either way that would be fab.

I am still in the market for a nourishing and reasonably priced shampoo and conditioner. As well as a deodorant, which actually works or Dove if you want to become cruelty free that is so welcome!!

Useful resources
Peta: Companies that don't test on animals
Peta: Companies that do test on animals
What Revlon doesn't want you to know
Cruelty Free Kitty
Nars Boycott
Lush: Fighting Animal Testing
Against Animal Testing petition

Thanks for popping by!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment