Monday 6 March 2017

Feminist TBR | Women's Week

On Wednesday this week, it is International Women's Day, so I thought this week I would share the love of women. Starting of this week with some feminist books I want to read. Personally most of the books I read are by women but I would say they are more "fluffy", but the fact they are written by women, when most books that have been published are by men, that is feminism right there. But here are some books I believe are more overtly feminist.


Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls by Francesca Cavallo
This is doing the rounds on BookTube, the women featured look really interesting and the illustrations look gorgeous.

In case you didn't know is a Labour MP, the book is about how she managed to become an MP, when the odds were extremely against her. This satisfies my feminist and political interests.

As the title suggests this is an episodic play, each monologue discusses and explores different parts of the feminine experience. I would love to see this performed live also. It was described by the New York Times as on of the most important  pieces of political theatre in the 1990's.

The Color Purple by Alice Walker
The only book out of this selection, currently on my book shelves. The musical of the book will be touring the US after a period of time on Broadway. This pullitzer prize winning book, explores the lives of African-American women in the southern states of America, this isn't a period of time that I know a lot about, its hugely important to be aware of the past - and I'm excited to read the book.

How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran
I've read seriously mixed reviews of this book. From what I can gather it is a series of essays...and not for people who are easily offended by humour. This book when it came out was very popular on the internet, and Moran has since written more books.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment