Wednesday 13 July 2016

Mary Poppins | Theatre Review

Hello! Practically Perfect doesn't quite describe how good Mary Poppins was, but I think you'll find Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is the word you are looking for!

I needn't say more, but I shall.

I had been looking forward to seeing this for months and months, on Friday the day came.

The show has something for everyone. To my left my Mum was entranced and my Dad was chuckling away at all the jokes, and I was swept away in the magic that is Mary Poppins.

Zizi Strallen lead an extremely strong and talented cast. There was a large band to accompany such a rich fantastic score, containing the classics such as Jolly Holiday from the film, and new Drewe and Stiles numbers meshing seamlessly, for example Anything Can Happen If You Let It and Practically Perfect which I cannot stop singing to myself.

The huge cast numbers were spectacular, probably the reason why Matthew Bourne was on the choreography team. Its a close call between the intricate and energetic  Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious  and the clever tap number Step in Time as to which was my absolute favourite. Its now a life mission to learn all the letters in Supercal!

The scenes with the Banks family is where the heart of the show lies. Whether that was bits like Practically Perfect where it is Mary, Jane and Michael in the Nursery or the end where George Banks had seen the importance of family over work.

This would not be a Mary Poppins review if I didn't mention the moment when Mary swoops over the audience, it was such a magical moment.

As you can probably tell, this production blew me away (not due to the change in the wind). It is at Norwich Theatre Royal until 30th July, if there are tickets go and see it. You are guaranteed to leave with a smile on your face, and humming the tunes.

Thanks for popping by!
xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment