Thursday 14 May 2015

The Need for a Boyfriend | My Thoughts

Hello! Today I thought I would do a more thoughtful post. This is about the apparent 'need for a Boyfriend'.

I am going to start of by saying I am 20 years old and I have had 1 boy friend, ONE. I'm not going to lie I'm not in a rush for another one, not saying I want to be single forever, that would be lonely. It's not my area of expertise lets be honest.

One thing I found growing up, most (not all) other girls spend their teenaged years looking for a boyfriend, and being jealous of those who do have a boyfriend. For me this is something which has been taught in the media whether it was magazines, I used to read Go Girl (remember that?) aimed at girls between 7 and 13 the question/agony aunt type section was filled with bits like 'How do I know if my crush fancies me?', at that age that should be the last thing you should thinking about. Also in books aimed at girls, books I found terribly boring and put me off reading for years as I thought that as all I could read, and obviously on TV and Films.

Because I wasn't actively looking for a boyfriend in my teenaged years, I have been asked if I was a lesbian or a-sexual, by people who were meant to be my friends. There isn't anything wrong with being either way, when you're 14 years old you don't know who you are at that stage, and would like to fit in. I took offense to these comments, I wondered if there was something wrong with me.

Now years later, I feel sad for those people who put themselves down so much as they are single. A boyfriend or girlfriend is nice to have. But be your own self first, you don't need a significant other to complete you, but to compliment you.

These are just my thoughts.

Thanks for popping by!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment