Monday 19 January 2015

Into The Woods | Movie

January Book: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green Page: 155

Hello, I don't think I have ever anticipated a film so much in my life, mainly due to Three factors 1. A Musical 2.Stephen Sondheim 3.Meryl Streep. And that was a year ago, so naturally I had to go and see it the day it opened in the UK.


My favourite thing is that this film doesn't stop at 'Happily Ever After', that was 2/3 of the way through the film. You discover what happens is reality, and life isn't all about being happy. This film is not a film where you'll leave the cinema on top of the world, or sad. It left me feeling thoughtful. This fairytale isn't your ordinary fairytale, its a Stephen Sondheim fairytale, after the golden era of musical theatre (think Oklahoma, think The Sound of Music) he was at the forefront of bring grittiness of story telling to musicals with West Side Story which he was lyricist for and his own musicals Company and Sweeney Todd. My point being, there has to be something to be said in this story, a sense of realism in the world in which the characters live. There is no clear definitive right or wrong, in the song 'You are not alone' the children are told that they must decide what is right and wrong for themselves, the characters will do anything to get their 'happy endings', then things don't go as you expect them to.

The score is flawless, songs are both beautiful and clever. The singing by these actors is very good. Shoutouts have to go to Anna Kendrick her voice is so beautiful and clear, my girl Meryl Streep I could listen to 'The Last Midnight' and 'Children Will Listen' over and over again.

This film will make you laugh, smile, and cry.

Yes I've seen it twice, I'm not one bit sorry at all.

Thanks for popping by!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment