Monday 28 October 2013

Mary Spiced Whole Orange Cake

Hello! So yesterday I made this cake



Daymn it was good! I thought this cake would be perfect for this autumnal time of year with the orange and festive spices cinnamon and good ol' mixed spice. The recipe is from the latest GBBO book which I was kindly gifted by a friend on my Birthday and I freakin recommend this book! The cake got really good reviews from my family so it's only fair that I share the recipe!

Ingredients:
1 orange
275g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
275g castor sugar
275g margarine (straight from the fridge)
4 Medium Eggs
1 tsp ground cinnamon (I used more for both spices about triple in the end)
1tsp ground mixed spice

You will need 2x20 cm deep sandwich tins, greased and base lined!

Instructions!
1. The first stage I found to be quite strange, put the orange in a pan, and surround with boiling water from the kettle, leave it for 30 mins until soft. I kept mine on the hob so I could maintain a steady temperature. The drain away the water and leave it to cool down.

2.Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4

3. Cut the  orange in half, remove the pips. Then blitz in a food processor, until you are left with a chunky pulp. Put 2 tbsps. worth aside for icing, then remove the rest of the pulp and also put aside.


4. Add all the other cake ingredients to the food processor, and blitz until well mixed together. At this stage I would taste it to make sure it is spicey enough for you.


5. Remove the blade, carefully mix in the pulp using a plastic spatula.

6. Share between the cake tins and cook for 30-35 mins (unlike me who read the recipe wrong shh)


7. Take out of the oven and leave to cool!

Icing time
Ingredients
90g Butter
180g Icing sugar
1 tbsp. Orange Juice
and the remaining orange pulp

1. Soften the butter in the microwave (be careful not to melt it!)

2. Mix the icing sugar and butter together until combined.

3. Mix in the Orange Juice and Pulp

4. Share the icing out equally between the middle and top of the cake.

5. Voila a seriously tasty cake!


Hope you enjoyed this post, I feel like I haven't done a baking post for ages, do you wanna see more of these??
Thanks for popping by!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment